School Prizes, Awards, Bequests and Bursaries
The Former Pupils’ Association of The Gordon Schools holds in trust and administers a number of school prizes, awards, bequests and bursaries.
The following awards are administered by the Former Pupils’ Association of The Gordon Schools:
- Former Pupils’ Association Medal for Dux of The Gordon Schools.
- Alexander Watt Prize in Higher Information Systems.
- Hugh Tait Prize in Higher English.
- Prize for Best improved pupil in English (year 3 and year 4).
Awards, Bursaries and Bequests
Alexander Watt Bursary
Arrangements are made in June. The criteria for application are:
- - Applications should be made to ‘The Committee of The Gordon Schools Former Pupils’ Association, The Gordon Schools, Castle Street, Huntly, AB54 4SE.
- - The applicant should be studying Mathematics in 5th year.
- - The applicant should submit a letter to the Committee of the Association. The letter should be in the form of a short resume.
- - The application must be supported by a short note from a member of the staff of the Mathematics Department, confirming the eligibility of the applicant.
- - Applications should be made to 'The Committee of The Gordon School's Former Pupil's Association. The Gordon Schools, Castle Street, Huntly, AB54 4SE'.
Alexander Cooper Bequest
Awards for the Alexander Cooper Bequest are discussed at the September meeting.These are awarded to three pupils in fifth or sixth year, who have shown ability and who have worked hard.
William Will Bequest
This is awarded to a school leaver intending to follow a course in Communication Studies; failing any such candidate, to a pupil with a special interest in Scottish Language; and failing that, to a pupil intending to study English Language.
William Will started out as a journalist on the Aberdeen Journal as it was then known. He later became managing director of Allied Newspapers in London.
RHN Sellar Bursary
This is provided for the benefit of a school leaver intending to follow a course in Engineering or Agricultural Science.
Life membership is awarded to a school leaver, who has demonstrated service to the school.