History of the Association
The Early Years
The Former Pupils’ Association of The Gordon Schools, Huntly, was formed in May 1925. How did it happen?
The first entry in the original record book of minutes of meetings of the Association is for 1 April 1925. The record says:
‘A meeting of those interested in the formation of a Former Pupils’ Association was held in the school buildings this evening. Mr Brebner, headmaster, who called the meeting, presided, and briefly explained the advantages of having such an association and outlined some of the work it might accomplish.’
A committee was formed. Mr Joseph Dunbar, who was the proprietor of the ‘Huntly Express’, accepted the office of President. It was decided that a magazine would be published.
A motion to have the annual subscription set at five shillings was defeated and the subscription was set at two shillings and sixpence.
Circulars were sent worldwide, seeking members. Former pupils, who had travelled far and wide, were encouraged to join, to make contact with each other and to keep in touch.
By 9 June 1925, membership stood at 150. Over £30 had been collected in donations. The sum of one guinea was put towards a gift of a special prize for pupils in school.
An appeal was made for people to help in the production of a magazine. The formation of a debating society was put on hold.
Events and Activities
The Association has always placed a strong emphasis on raising money and making donations to charity. The new Association provided funds for the Cottage Hospital Extension Fund. Money was also donated to underwrite prizes and bursaries in school. Books were purchased for the school library.
Equipment was bought for a newly-created former pupils’ badminton club. Poles for nets were made locally. Badminton rackets were provided at a cost of three shillings and sixpence each. The very best shuttlecocks were bought, costing nineteen shillings and six pence per dozen. Membership fees were set at five shillings and six pence for a session.